Pages

Monday 20 January 2014

Chicken Disaster: Fox Attack

The chickens were free-ranging in the garden this morning. Andy and Jude were home, mostly in the front room. I was out with the girls at ballet. I got back at 1pm, asked if the chickens were all right, then went out into the garden to check on them. I saw an enormous fox, which scarpered as soon as I opened the door. It was too late for the chickens. Tauriel and Sally (the ex-bats) had disappeared, and my beautiful, original Ahsoka was lying dead in the corner, feathers everywhere. I’m devastated, and v teary! I’m so so sorry beautiful girls.

My lovely husband cleared away the body and the feathers. He said there wasn’t a mark on her, so hopefully it was very quick. They had had the run of the garden for two years with neither sight nor sound of fox. But, we did hear them at night in the street, and there was evidence of droppings in the garden. Hopefully we will get more chickens, which will still count as free-ranging as they will have 1m squared each in the run. But of course we can’t risk this again! So they will only be able to be supervised loose from now on. At least it will give the grass a chance to grow back.

I miss them so much already, knowing that they’re not pecking away out there. I loved looking after them, and of course the eggs were delicious. I was so looking forward to seeing the ex-battery hens blossom. My heart hurts a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment